Immigration & Other Legal

The purpose of this committee is to ensure full and part-time residents who are not citizens of Mexico are aware of their legal rights.


  • INM Immigration, La Paz: 612-125-494
  • INM Immigration, Cabo San Lucas: 624-143-4001
  • US Consulate-Tijuana: 664-977-2000
  • US Consular Agency, Cab San Lucas: 624-143-3566
  • Consular Agency, Canada: San Jose del Cabo: 624-142-4333

Expat Activism

In Mexico, there are laws specific to participating in public demonstrations or speaking in public about issues of concern.  Please note the following clarification of the Mexican constitutional law as it refers to temporary or permanent residents, and Mexican citizens.

Residente Temporal: One cannot be involved in election politics, but one may talk about the environment, natural resources, commercial developments, and sign petitions.

Mexican Residente Permanente: May talk about politics and election. Can march in peaceful demonstrations, sign petition, but cannot vote unless a citizen.

Mexican Citizens: whether born here or nationalized:

Article #35
 of the Constitution sets forth the following: The prerogatives of citizens are: 
I. To vote at popular elections; 
II. To be voted for, for offices subject to popular election, and to be appointed to any other employment or commission if they have the qualifications established by law; 
III. To associate together to discuss the political affairs of the country; 
IV. To bear arms in the Army or National Guard in the defense of the Republic and its institutions, under the provisions prescribed by law; 
V. To exercise in all cases the right of petition. 

Article 33:
 Foreigners are those who do not possess the qualifications set forth in Article 30. They are entitled to the guarantees granted by Chapter I, Title I, of the Constitution.

Only the Mexican President shall have exclusive power to compel any foreigner he may deem inexpedient to abandon the national territory immediately and without the necessity of previous legal action for serious threats against National Security.

Immigration to Mexico

Whether you are a part-time or full-time resident of Mexico, it is important to have a legal immigration status, which is attained with an immigration permit or visa. The following information was provided by Mexperience.

There are two kinds of immigration permits: Non-Immigrant and Immigrant:

Non Immigrant Permits are for people who intend to visit Mexico for a specific purpose and then depart:

  • Visitante – Visitor Permit for Short Term Visits
    The Visitante permit is intended for visitors — usually tourists and business trips — to Mexico on short-term visits of six months or less. A Visitor’s Permit is issued when you arrive in Mexico (by air, or travel inland by road beyond the ‘free border zone’) by completing a Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM): these forms are issued by airlines, and are also available at ports of entry. The Visitor Permit is valid for up to 180 days and cannot be renewed. When it expires, you will need to leave the country.
  • Visa de Residente Temporal – Temporary Resident Visa
    The Temporary Resident Visa, intended for people who wish to live in Mexico for more than 6 months and not longer than 4 years. The Temporary Resident Visa is a renewable, long-term (more than six months) permit which gives non-immigrant temporary residency status to the holder. The visa is issued for one year, and can then be renewed for a further 1, 2, or 3 years; this visa can optionally give work permissions, and allows unlimited entries to, and exits from, Mexico. To apply, visit a Mexican consulate outside of Mexico.

Immigrant Permits are for people who wish to gain long term permanent residence in Mexico:

  • Visa de Residente Permanente – Permanent Resident Visa
    The Permanent Resident Visa is intended for people seeking permanent residency status in Mexico, and/or those who may seek eventual Mexican Citizenship. You do not need to be a Temporary Resident first to become a Permanent Resident later, provided that you fulfill one of the other requirements (link to) needed for permanent residency. If your goal is to seek long-term residency in Mexico, or to become a Mexican Citizen, you should apply for a Permanent Resident Visa.

Applying for Mexican Citizenship

There is a specific process to apply for and acquire Mexican Citizenship (also known as ‘naturalization’). As a minimum you must have applied for, and been granted, permanent resident status, although exceptions to this rule may apply, such as marriage to a Mexican national. If you are under between 18 and 60 years of age you will be asked to undertake an exam, which you must pass, in order to acquire naturalization/citizenship.

Mexico Immigration Guide 2018

To purchase a booklet on everything you need to know about immigration and visas in Mexico, visit Mexperience.

For official Mexican government immigration policy.

Notary Public

The office of a Notary Public in Mexico holds far more legal responsibility than the role of a Notary Public in the United States, and this legal role should not be confused with its US counterpart. In Mexico, this role is given only to experienced lawyers who are assessed and appointed by the state’s Governor.

The Notary Public in Mexico has the power to witness and certify important business and civil documents which require absolute authenticity. The appointment also holds responsibility for the management and secure storage of original legal records.
All official documents for business, including real estate transactions, should pass through a Notary Public. If you are unsure, take copies of your documents to a Notary Public for cross-check and official verification.


Become a Member

Donate or pay dues with PayPal

Suggested donation $500p/person

Recent News & Events

© 2019 A.C.T.S. Asociación de Colonos de Todos Santos, A.C.  All rights Reserved.

Website by Webmaster México